Sunday, December 09, 2007

Mills Mess (with an effect of vagueness)



There is a very good explanation of the juggling pattern known as the Mills Mess here. It's in slightly garbled Frenglish, but the advice given is pretty much how I learned this trick. I would recommend just skimming over stage 1, as I think the author does too. Don't be put off by the complicated instructions: the trick is famous for being easier to do than say, and has a lovely rhythm so that it sometimes feels less like a trick, and more like the natural way to juggle.

Trying to be clever, I bought three glowing balls, which alternate between red, green and blue, so that you can see the paths of the three balls, and compare them to the animation. Unless when you take the photo all the balls all happen to be blue.

Thanks to my photographer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool Photo!

phil said...

Thankyou! The pattern is much loved by mathematicians, as it looks a bit like an infinity (8 on its side) symbol.