Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Stream of Consciousness

I am unemployed, unattached, living in a bedsit and will turn 30 this year. These are facts, and I'm not particularly unhappy about them. I am trying to decide where to live. I have four choices: Bochum, Erlangen, Leeds or somewhere completely different.

Bochum

Plus: I live here, and have done for one year. I am good friends with some Bochum jugglers. I am the left winger of Torpedo Entenhausen and have developed a good understanding with the left back and the strikers. I know enough budding footballers to get a kick-about twice a week. I live close to a good ice-cream parlour. It only costs 11 Euros to watch a football game.

Minus: Bochum is "no beauty, and grey from work".

Distance to Leeds: I can be in Leeds within about 3 hours and the flights are cheap.

Erlangen

Plus: I used to live in Erlangen, and am friends with the local jugglers, some of whom even read this blog. Erlangen is a rich town with relatively good job chances. I am good friends with my ex-colleagues, who form the majority of people reading this blog. I grounded an Erlangen cricket club, and could try to reform it. There are lots of beer gardens within cycling distance of the town.

Minus: Erlangen is a small town which I might get bored with after a while.

Distance to Leeds: The flight to England takes a couple of hours and there is no direct flight from Nuremberg to Leeds. Awkward.

Leeds

Plus: Leeds is in England. My parents and sister live not far away. I would be able to write, speak and read the language perfectly, and never have to see another kezboard. I could race my dad up hills and find a cricket club. I could make my mum cook Sunday lunch, or even lend a hand. If I ever get bored I can call myself Klaus-Peter and pretend to be a German exchange student.

Minus: I know only four people there. The football club is owned by Ken Bates.

Distance to Leeds: N/A.

Somewhere Completely Different

Plus: Maybe I'll find something I never new I was missing.

Minus: I know nobody and would find it hard to get going, like I did in Bochum. I think I can rule this out.

Distance to Leeds: Upper limit - Leeds is to be found at -1.5 deg longitude, +53.8 latitude. The other side of the world is somewhere below New Zealand. The nearest landfall would be the bottom of New Zealand, and nearly 100,000 Furlongs away. Lower limit - Negligable compared to upper limit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

it is a pity you quit electrical engineering. Being an electrical engineer, I was naturaly interested in the outcome of your research :o). Although I guess being a female engineer might influence the result.

I just read a book, that I like to recommend to you (and everyone who likes your blog). It's "A year in the Merde".
Cause that's exactly what might have happend if you had chosen France instead of Germany.
Since you are unemployed, you should think about writing a book... :o)

cu birgit

PS: I can't help with your choice where to live, since the Ruhrpott is my Heimat and Erlangen is where I am now. I can recommend both.

phil said...

Hi Birgit,

Thanks for the comment. I will be in Erlangen this weekend (I will set off tomorrow), but sadly there is no e-werk juggling. Maybe something is going on somewhere?

Phil.