Thursday, May 07, 2009

Dance if you wanna dance.

My professor in Erlangen spent several years persuading me to get out of the laboratory more and take dancing classes. At the time I was too fascinated by the beauty of quantum states to bother with things like music, rhythm, movement and women. Two nervous breakdowns later, I decided to give it a try.

Because of a previous juggling performance for the culture office of the university, I got 20% off. But because I'm not a student, I had to pay 50% extra. I spent several minutes debating with the culture office whether I should pay 30% more (the obvious answer) or 20% more (the correct answer). You don't just get a reduction on the original price, you get a reduction on the increase!

If you don't believe this, ask for a 50% pay rise this month, then a 50% pay cut next month, and see what happens. I have a copy of "How to Lie With Statistics" by Darrell Huff on my lap, which explains this better than I can. I can thoroughly recommend it. It was a good read and may well have saved me 4 Euros.

Back to the dancing, I found an Italian Erasmus student as a dance partner, and have decided that the Salsa arm movements are the same as a juggling cascade, but with a pause after every third throw.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow this sprang to mind ....


You can dance if we want to
You can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of Yours
I say, You can go where You want to
A place where they will never find
And Youcan act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind
And You can dance ....

phil said...

You are showing your age with that 80s reference! My musical taste is firmly stuck in 1995. Future blogging scholars will have fun finding the half-dozens of britpop references in my blog titles, and I was actually borrowing from the Masterplan by Oasis.

I do like songs with optional dancing though. I dislike the lyric "Everybody's dancing". It's only in music videos that everybody dances. I had a great plan to write a song with the chorus 'Only a small minority are dancing, and that's because they're drunk'. The only problem is I don't know how to write a song. Maybe I could just write the lyrics and hope someone puts it to music.

Scrubs clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3qGnqv_tqc

Oasis Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQq_U1L8Bo

Anonymous said...

The really annoying thing is, my age starts to show in far more ways than the strange songs i remember.
I really hope my taste in music isn't stuck in the 80s. The 80s did to music (and fashion for that matter) much the same thing McDonalds did (and keeps on doing) to food. But it was quite the time for songs with the word "dance" in the title. I fondly remmber "Let's dance" by David Bowie and shudder with disgust remembering "Dancing in the streets" by (again) David Bowie and Mick Jagger.


I really like the idea for your song (and the concept of optional dancing). Write it and throw it at Andrew Lloyd Webber (or Dieter Bohlen), he'll put music to anything! It might even become a HUGE success.