Thursday, June 11, 2009

A new job

I managed to do it. In the past 12 months I sent out 6 job applications. I kept trying to up the rate to at least once a week, but never managed it. I got invited to two interviews, so I'm rather surprised that I found a job. I've decided to keep the details of the job out of this blog in order to give it a decent chance of working.

The job doesn't require any knowledge of physics, which made applying for it a lot easier. I never got to the point of coming to terms with the depressed endings of the past two jobs well enough that I could talk about them with a bunch of strangers. It was a relief to not have to discuss the contents of my PhD at all. When applying for this job I was relieved not to have to explain why I'm an expert with glass tubes and ultrasound devices, while feeling my stomach turn with the weight of perceived failure.

So I've started something completely different. It should pay well enough for me to live comfortably, and hopefully won't interfere with my evenings and weekends too much. With a bit of luck I'll have some nice little projects to work on. At the moment that's all I want in life. My projects won't make me rich and famous and won't change the world, but I'm happy to leave that sort of stuff to others.

2 comments:

MarkusPhotoBlog said...

Hi Phil,
congratulations!!
Cheers, M.

Unknown said...

Hi Phil,

cool, that's nice to hear!

Chris