Saturday, February 24, 2007

Practical problems arouse.

I continued learning English this week. I know now the difference between like and such as (explained here), and between using and utilising (explained here).

Now try to analyse these sentences:

1/ Your best friend says to you

"I wish to have a girlfriend like yours."
"I wish to have a girlfriend such as yours."

The first would be a fine compliment, the second a threat.

2/ I may say

"I used my keyboard to type this sentence."
"I utilised my keyboard to beat to death the guy next to me, who is still listening to Roxette very loudly."

I now read things with a keener eye, and spotted a lovely mistake in a book about ultrasound that I'm reading:

Ideas of three-dimensional (3D) imaging of organs by beam scanning in 3D directions, was first introduced in the 50'ies, but severe practical problems arouse...


The author of the book is Norwegian and knows a lot about ultrasound, so I firmly place any blame at the hands of his publishers and their proofreader. Every time I read this sentence, I find another mistake, but the really good one is arouse instead of arose. Getting turned on by severe practical problems must be quite distracting for most scientists.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If it's the only arousal you can get, maybe you'll resort to complicated problems after some while ;-).

And: your sidebar still lists your location as "Erlangen, Bavaria".

Greetings from the Dillberg, Chris.

phil said...

Hallo Chris,

I have changed my location. This is a good thing, as whenever I forget stuff I check here. So if I forget where I live, it is most helpful to have the correct city listed.

In the original post I meant to say "now know", and not "know now". "know now" is a "no no", and there are indeed limits to these things.