Sunday, November 11, 2007

Word Count

Monday 29th October. 5pm

I've been reading the New York Times, which I like. In today's obituaries, the composer of the world's longest diary is featured. From 1935 until 1997, Robert Shields wrote 37.5 million words about his life, recording every detail such as his body temperature, blood pressure and junk mail. I have managed 170-odd posts, giving me an estimated 50,000 words. Were I to blog for another millennium, I might just break the record. Would you like to hear about the solidity of my number twos...

At the conference, I managed to present a poster which I knew almost nothing about. Only one guy noticed, and explained that he had published the same work already, but had done it better. After the poster session I had a confidence crisis, and thought about juggling in Central Park to cheer myself up.

1 comment:

perreira said...

Ah, the glamorous task of standing in front of a poster where you have no clue about and the only one who is interested in it has done better work and tells you so...

This will be one thing in the long list I won't miss, if I get a decent job. Though the conference dinners usually were quite nice if you tried not to get into contact with all the other people present.