Sunday, March 02, 2008

Make Do and Mend

The pockets of my jeans always seem to be the first thing to go, and for the past few days I've been leaving a trail of small change and Stabilo pens wherever I go. I then bought a needle and thread, and sewed the hole together. I did the right pocket with them on, and the left pocket with them off, and found that it is easier and safer to sew when not wearing them.

This kind of thing goes against the spirit of my generation: if it's broke, or old, or no longer in fashion just throw it out and head to the shops. I found the sewing to be quite therapeutic, despite dropping the needle a couple of times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was listening to the radio this morning, and tried to decipher the words to "Back to Black" by Amy Winehouse which is getting a lot of airplay on WDR 2. I could have sworn she sings

Life is like a pie, and I'm a tiny kidney rolling up the walls inside


An expression of the futility of life and its pastry ceilings using the imagery of old-fashioned british cookery. Sadly these are not the real lyrics. It's probably a good thing that nobody can tell what she's singing about, as "He... kept his dick wet" isn't really what you want to hear over breakfast.

No comments: