Monday, April 28, 2008

Megalomaniacs Herne 2 - Torpedo Entenhausen 6

I got a bit fed up of writing how Torpedo Entenhausen kept throwing away leads, so I "forgot" to write posts of our last two defeats. Tonight we did the opposite, and recovered from a 2-0 deficit to win clearly.

The reason for the poor start was only having eight players because we thought the kick-off was at eight and not half past seven. The opposition were considerate and only had nine men at the start, despite correctly adjudging the kick-off time. More tellingly, they never got the full eleven players on the pitch.

I ran a lot, and dribbled so much that people told me to pass the ball earlier. This has never happened to me in my footballing life. I've always been a "hoof it up front" kind of player. The Germans call this Kick and Rush, but I can't find or remember any english person using this phrase. I think they call it the long ball game or direct football.

Tonight I also headed some goal kicks in the right direction. When I first played last year they used to bounce off randomly but mostly backwards. Tonight one of my headers from the centre circle went straight back to our striker, Axel, who stuck it past the keeper for one goal towards his hat-trick.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you are returned to winning ways. My team got beaten 4-0 at the weekend :-(

I rather suspect that kick and rush is more a rugby phrase than football. Did you ever try introducing that, as well as the cricket experiment? I would dearly love to see a bunch of fizzysists try to play :-)

phil said...

Rugby is a great way to release frustration, but I didn't play it with physicists. It's the kind of sport that you either play seriously or not at all. I suppose you could have a fun game of touch rugby, but then you don't have the benefits of violence and aggression.