Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Mystery of the Fallen Roses

I de-iced the freezer compartment of my fridge over the weekend. To speed up the process, I filled a plastic bottle with hot water, sealed the bottle with a squirty top from a washing-up liquid bottle, and directed the hot jet of water onto the steel lining of the ice compartment. Within an hour, the huge chunks of ice which stopped me shutting the fridge door were falling off into the pool of water at the bottom of the fridge. The key to swift de-icing is that it is not necessary to melt all the ice, just the parts sticking to the metal. I guess the best way would be to pass a large current straight through the metal sheets of the ice compartment. This would also be an effective way of keeping fat kids off the ice cream.

Anyway, I was thoroughly pleased with my efforts, and rewarded myself with a bunch of roses. I didn't have a proper vase, so I took the biggest glass I could find and plonked the roses in. It looked a little wobbly at first, but after I filled it with water it was fine.

Well today I got back home and found the glass broken on the table, and the roses on the floor. I reached for some paper towels to mop up the water, but the floor was dry. After a cursory check that no jilted lover was stood behind me with an axe, I deduced what had happened.

I think the world is divided into two groups of people: Those who understand statics, forces, torques, gravity, evaporation and transpiration; and those who just go and buy a fucking rose-sized vase.

No comments: