Friday, October 17, 2008

Bewerbungsmappe

This is the German word for a folder containing documents for a job application. Apparently there is no equivalent in English, as

In the US, when you apply for a job, you send a one or two-page resume and a letter. You don't send all the other crap unless they ask for it.


I have found all my old 'A' level certificates, and am off to a copy shop to get copies for my Bewerbungsmappe. I'm finding all of this rather tricky. My psychologist reminds me that every new thing will be difficult. Every step towards getting a job is hard, and I find myself blocking myself.

The process of buying a Bewerbungsmappe took about an hour. It started with me writing down what I was going to buy, where I was going to buy it, and when. I planned a cup of coffee and a sticky raisin bun as a reward for a successful purchase. Everything about this mission was carefully planned.

I then walked into the stationary shop, found the shelf with Bewerbungsmappen, and bought three. It took less than a minute. If I had to do it again it would be very easy. A Bewerbungsmappe is just a piece of folded cardboard with a clip inside and "B E W E R B U N G" on the front. Buying one is no more difficult than buying a ring-binder, or a hole puncher.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That thing really got to you, didn't it? Getting ready a huge pile of documents for no good reason is quite disconcerting and very german. :-) Get used to it! :-)