Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Torpedo Entenhausen 5 - Megalomaniacs Herne 3

I've only been blogging victories for Torpedo Entenhausen, as they are much more fun. In reality we are safely in mid-table, far from the disappointment of finishing last (there is no relegation from the second division of the spare time league) and far from the disaster of promotion.

Wemser and Werner, a couple of Torpedo old-timers, returned to the team last week. We played a few matches together when I started almost 2 years ago, and they commented how I have improved my game. I scored one goal, set up two, and ran around a lot before succumbing to cramp in the final minutes. As the substitutes were also knackered, I was told to stand in front of the defence for the final minutes to preserve our precious lead.

I got to select and organise the team for the last two matches, as our captain, organiser and last-ditch defender was on holiday. Those 'wasted' months of playing football manager games were quite useful. Pick your 14 players, send them a text message, choose a formation, learn that the full-back is down with flu, choose another formation. Enter the transfer market by asking Werner to ask his mate whether he fancies a game.

I also got to greet the referee and opposition and win the coin toss by default. While I was winning the coin toss the rest of the team decided which positions to play. I don't think I'm ready for complete control of team affairs yet, and luckily the real captain will be back next week.

No comments: