Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Suddenly appearing objects

I have very good eyesight, but sometimes I just don't see stuff. After three days in Hamburg I discovered that they had built a new police station right at the entrance to DESY. I managed to pass this building several times without noticing it at all, and was surprised to say the least when I got off the bus this afternoon right next to a police station.

I also spend three evenings in the control room of hermes and never noticed the bottle of champagne which has a label declaring that in should be opened "for the first recoil proton". The new detector at hermes is called a recoil detector, as it detects things which are going forwards, but not as much forwards as other stuff which is going forwards. This means that anybody who happens to be going forwards at a good rate themselves would conclude that the stuff detected by the new detector is actually going backwards.

So if the new detector ever detects one of these "recoil protons" it is time to open the bottle of champagne. At the moment the recoil detector is in lots of small parts, and the experts are welding and hammering it back into shape. To be honest, I think that buying champagne and labelling it "for the first recoil proton" is a rather safe investment.

1 comment:

phil said...

I'm rereading my blog as I'm a bit bored. History will note that leaving alcohol of any kind in a semi-public place is a BAD investment, especially if you have russian colleagues.