Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Missing

I live together with five other people in a shared flat. If you're reading this guys, czesc! That's polish for "hi", as four of the five come from Poland, and the other gave in and decided to learn polish. Csesc is the only polish word I know which is fit for print. Anyway, we get along fine here, and go out occasionally, and sometimes cook together, and as long as nobody mentions the word "Putzplan"[1] we get on just great.

The thing is, I never knew that my co-inhabitants really cared about me. So when I left for the weekend without telling them that I'd gone, I assumed that they would classify my disappearance as somebody else's problem. That's the good thing about sharing a flat with five other people. You don't really miss the odd person.

In any case they really did notice that I wasn't there and tried to ring me. Having failed (I somehow turned my mobile off), they got the name of a work colleague, found his home number in the telephone book and rang him up. Not really getting into the spirit of things he told them that I was in Duisburg (which was true) instead of saying that I had muttered something about a game of Russian Roulette (which would have been a rather whopping lie).

So here's to my caring flatmates. I missed you guys too. Just don't mention the Putzplan.

[1] The Putzplan is a table of recipriversexclusive name entries. The only person guaranteed not to clean the flat in a given week is the person who should do it according to the Putzplan.

No comments: