Monday, June 19, 2006

England 2 - Trinidad and Tobago 0


I'm a bit late on this one, but what the heck. I had a ticket (thanks Fabian again) for England against the "Soca Warriers" from Trinidad and Tobago. I could give you a match report, but there is no way that it would be as good as this one.

I can confirm that whilst some of the english fans were recounting the events of the second world war, and discussing the politics of Northern Ireland, the fans from the Caribbean really were singing

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down. London bridge is falling down. BREK it down! BREK it - down!


So England progress without playing particularly well, and the brave soca warriers from little old Trini... [NOTE FROM EDITOR: Rest of post removed for being too damned patronising. The days of your British Empire are over Mr. Endofphil]

3 comments:

perreira said...

You gotta beat sweden, and TnT gotta beat Paraguay and den we be in next round! GO SOCCA WARRIORS!

Unknown said...

You know, I have no sympathy with anyone who refers to football as soccer, but they could at least try and spell it right...

[Was that patronising enough?]

Incidently - a new (Scottish) summer student and I, this afternoon:

Her: So, are you English?
Me: Yes, I'm originally from Liverpool
Her: Oh, that's a shame, I thought you were quite nice.

perreira said...

Just to correct my spelling: it's of course SOCA WARRIORS, has nothing to do with football but with Trinidad's and Tobago's carnival music, which incidentally is called soca.