Wednesday, July 12, 2006

For one night only...

Tomorrow is the big day for the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

Roughing pumps: check
Pressure gauge: check
Turbo pump: check
Oven heating: check

The detector is on standby, the liquid nitrogen is still liquid...

As you can see I am a bit excited by the whole thing. To tell you the truth I never really got over the loss of my nice big Stern-Gerlach experiment: If you look at the photo you can see part of the "Atomic beam source" which is a souped up version of the good old Stern-Gerlach device. I'm the guy on the left caressing a cryo pump. It was an emotional affair between me and the Atomic Beam Source, and I got in way too deep. It's not healthy for one man to spend so much time and energy looking after one gizmo.



But tomorrow, for one day, I can be an expert again, and not the poor fucker with broken nerves and broken dreams who does the baker's run. I can be important, needed, coolly guiding the detector wire with an expert hand into the beam of polarized atoms, tuning the oven for optimal intensity...

Please only leave a comment if you have a degree in psychology, or at least saw a talk show with the theme "Men who fall hopelessly in love with plasma-driven turbo-pumped atomic mother-fucking beam sources".

No comments: