Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The world's worst chat-up line.

...is probably the following
You appear to be rather small, but when I look into your eyes the angle from the horizontal is only weakly dependent on our relative heights.

A series of tests with my flatmate have shown that it is possible to approach somebody to within 30cm (about a foot) eye-to-eye separation before they get really freaked out. Taking this as a standard distance for talking to somebody in a disco, it is possible to calculate the relation between the angle A and the height difference of two people stood a distance d apart.



By plotting the angle A as a function of height difference you can see that once the height difference reaches a certain value any further increase makes little difference to the angle. I am 1.93m, but anybody less than 1.63m will not really be able to judge how tall I am. In the same manner I can hardly tell the difference between somebody 1.55m and 1.60m: they are small.



When I started writing this post I seem to think that I had a good reason for doing so, but I have now forgotten it. The only conclusion I can find from reading this is that I need to get out more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Phil, your breastless triangular shaped women with huge eybrows really freak me out.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious - one of your best posts ever!!! Keep on writing...