Monday, August 14, 2006

The importance of being useless.

Yeah, I know, it's a shit title, but this week was never going to be a literary highlight for this blog. I have nearly got through four of my seven shifts, which is some reason for hope. I am still sat here on shift, and am completely incompetent. When I started at HERMES five years ago I saw some people here on shift and wondered "how can anyone be so fucking stupid". Now I know, for I have touched the depths of utter incompetence.

My job here could be performed by a rather unintelligent robot, and 99.9% of the computing time for this dumbass robot would be trying to walk up a flight of stairs to reach terminal 2.

Situation: Monitor says "Magnet preparation"
Response: Type command list (a) into terminal 1, and press enter.

Situation: Monitor says "Luminosity run"
Response: Press button routine (I) into terminal 2.

Then every 2 hours type command list (b) into terminal 1, and press enter.

and every 4 hours copy some values from terminal 3 onto piece of paper.

Situation: Monitor says "Please turn off your HV"
Response: Press button routine (II) into terminal 2.

Situation: Something goes red, or beeps.
Response: Call phone number x-xxxx

Typically I have to perform a couple of these tasks in an eight hour shift. The saddest thing is that I am useless at it. It should be impossible to fuck up this job, but I keep forgetting to do stuff.

I have a feeling that my job performance and state of mental happiness are interlinked. It's not easy to care when you don't give a shit.

No comments: