Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Ashes part II



Pet funeral directors are much more fun than your standard undertaker. The one in Bochum has a window display of its products, so it felt like any other shop and I didn't feel like an idiot going in to buy an urn for the ashes of my PhD hat. Once we'd got past the initial misunderstandings (Hut and Hund, the german words for hat and dog, sound rather similar), the assistent was very helpful. He sold me a nice green urn for 40 Euros and stuck on some slightly tacky letters too.

Just as we were finished, the next customers came in holding their recently deceased dog, Maxi. I was quite surprised by this, and I think that the shopholder was too, but only for a second. There were three of them, and they brought in two living dogs too, maybe to show that they were serious dog people and going through tough times, and maybe to prove that Maxi was atypical and that they were quite capable of keeping most of their dogs alive.

I decided that my cheerfulness of having acquired an urn didn't really fit the scene, so I left, wondering whether anyone has ever walked into a funeral directors with his dead grandma draped over his shoulder.

3 comments:

MarkusPhotoBlog said...

... and I already thought I'm weird sometimes... ;-) Congratulations to your urn and this important step of psychological refurbishment. Just look at it from an entropy point of view.

-- M.

phil said...

A pile of ashes has a high degree of Entropy. There are very many ways to arrange the ashes so that they still look like a pile of ashes. I could shake the urn vigorously every morning, but the contents would still be a pile of ashes.

So the pile of ashes has a stably high amount of Entropy. The Entropy of the urn could be easily increased by dropping it on the floor. If this happens, I will have to crush the urn and put it in a slightly bigger urn. The present one is designed for the charred remains of a small cat, so I can move up in size if needs be.

Anonymous said...

Wow Phil You sure are a character. Now that I have read this you must see the film "Death at a Funeral" You will love it, I think.

All the Best,

-Nick in NYC (Guinness Buddy Time SQ)