Thursday, May 08, 2008

A Theory of Everything

I had lunch in Cafe Konkret and had a theory of everything explained to me by another regular. Volkhard Radkte has spent the past years developing theories of the development of planets and stars. From what I can understand of his theory, things come into existence in pairs, and suns can be born from planets. He has also developed his own model of the atom.

He presented his ideas to a physics professor at the University, who told him "If your ideas are shown to be true, I will personally recommend you for a Nobel Prize". I think this is a fantastic way of telling someone that you're not entirely convinced of their work.

I tried to read some of his book and asked him if his theory made a prediction that differed from accepted physics, and could be tested in the future. He couldn't tell me one. His work also contained a bit of numerology and some Excel graphs, so I decided I probably wasn't talking to the next Copernicus and concentrated my efforts on the Guardian Crossword.

Anyway, here is his model of the Hydrogen atom. I asked him about it, as I did my PhD on something similar. The accepted model of the Hydrogen Atom includes a proton, which is composed of three quarks, orbited by an electron. He includes all these components, but his model has a rigid arrangement for the quarks and has the electron in a fixed position between the two up quarks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just thought up a disproof for his theory based on that diagram. Then I realised what I was doing. I really, really need a holiday.

phil said...

I also need a holiday, and will be having a 3-day break in Otley next week. It's better than nothing.