Saturday, May 24, 2008

SAD

Some people get sad and depressed in the winter. I like to think that I am above such stereotypes, and last year got depressed in the summer. There were a few reasons for this. I'd been in Bochum for four months, and had realised that my job wasn't going anywhere. My incompetence in moving house was also catching up with me. My belongings were split between Bochum and Erlangen, my post was mostly being sent to the old address and I still couldn't remember my new postcode. I hadn't worked out why there wasn't a recycling skip for tin cans in Bochum and had collected four months of tin cans in my flat. These things were all related to being four months in a new city and not giving a shit about anything, but had nothing to do with summer.

Then came the summer. I played lots of football and drank some beer, but couldn't be bothered to prepare food. The food lay on my shelves and was eaten by fruit flies. I hoped that the spiders that populated the corners of the flat would eat the flies, but they didn't. My flat smelt, but I was too tired and too depressed to do anything about it. I'd look at the rubbish, look at the washing up in the sink, look at the pile of clothes on the floor, decide that it was all too much for me and juggle a bit. I learned some good 3-ball juggling tricks, because I could only ever find three of my balls under all the rubbish.

I was reminded of this last week when I looked into my bottle of white wine vinegar. I was trying to clean the cooking pot I used to burn my hat, and wondered whether vinegar would be any good. The bottle didn't have a top on, so I poured some vinegar out, and found that it was 25% fruit fly by volume.

I had cooked some food with the vinegar last summer, but hadn't put the top back on the bottle. I thought back to last summer and remembered looking at the bottle, looking at the top sat next to it, and thinking how screwing it on was too difficult. The fruit flies took advantage of my sloth, but to excess. They must have gorged on the vinegar, bathed in the vinegar and died in the vinegar, for the vinegar was full of literally hundreds of dead fruit flies. I'm sure that I put a tablespoonful of the fly-infested vinegar into a stir-fry last autumn, which probably wasn't very healthy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as your fruit flies apparently commited suicide, the vinegar might even be acceptable for some vegetarians.

Cheers from Finland, Markus

phil said...

Lemming burgers, mmmmm.

(whatever you do, don't wikipedia lemmings.)