Thursday, March 05, 2009

Diddle der der, Diddle der der, Diddle der der Dee

A while ago, I wrote that being woken by a telephone makes me nervous. Between 2001 and 2005 a telephone ringing at unsocial hours was almost certainly a call from the control room of the Hermes particle-physics experiment, saying that something was wrong with a souped-up Stern-Gerlach experiment, and that I should stop sleeping and start fixing it. At first it was an exciting challenge, as Stern-Gerlach experiments are fun things. But fun things can become tiresome if you're forced to do them in the middle of a good night's sleep, and by 2005 I was exhausted, nervous, and depressed. The phone calls weren't the only reason, but they didn't help. I dreaded the sound of the phone. I knew that a call would lead to stress, meetings and being made to feel useless. I imagined destroying the phone with a blunt object, or sinking it deep into the river Elbe, weighed down with a couple of stones, and hearing the ringtone fade away...

Now logically, my fear of a ringing phone should have ended by 2006. Nobody rang me any more about Stern-Gerlach devices, and I knew this, but if my sleep was disturbed by a phone ringing, I woke up feeling panicky and nervous. This may or may not have something to do with Pavlov's dogs.

This week I have been trying to change my thought process. When my phone rings I say to myself, "I hope it is a friend wanting to do something, which will be good. I will be hopeful and answer the phone". This morning I was woken by my phone ringing. For two seconds I felt sad and negative, and a little nervous. The move to grab the phone was a slightly panicky motion. I then remembered to say that it would probably be a friend, and felt a little better. It was a friend, and there was no need to feel nervous.

No comments: