Sunday, April 09, 2006

Cricket Match

In a bid to stave of homesickness and civilise Germany (or at least a small part of Bavaria) I organised a game of cricket yesterday. I am on a steep learning curve here. I have learnt that a rasp is coarser but much quicker than a file. I have learnt the expensive way that if you want to buy a cricket bat cheaply on a german flea market the correct opening line is "Was is denn das fuer ein komisches Stueck Holz?" [1] and not "Ein Cricket Schlaeger! Wie schoen, so was wollte ich immer haben" [2]. I have also learnt that the action to bowl a cricket ball is the same as the action used to throw a hand-granade (thanks to Marc). I could have sworn that he at least once he tried to pull the pin out of a tennis ball before starting his run-up. On the whole the game was a success, and I have three converts to the game. Next week: reverse swing, googlies, doosras, tea breaks, how to shout "how's that" in a more convincing manner.

[1] translation: What is that strange piece of wood you have there?
[2] translation: Please accept my life-savings, house, belongings and the hand of my eldest daughter in exchange for your cricket bat.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Indeed, you are making bavaria a much more civilized place. When will the horses for a polo match be ordered?

perreira said...

Well, at least I already started riding lessons a year ago... So, that's three horses each, we are about 5, that's 15 horses in total. Or about 4 per Tandem-Target-Hall, which will fit nice. Can we declare them as essential for the recoil to get them paid by uni?

phil said...

Bestellnummer 46052:

Beschreibung: Pferde

Anzahl/Menge: 10 St.

Verwendungszweck: Transport von Studenten nach Hamburg.