Tuesday, April 11, 2006

In the bowels of the institute

By far the most interesting part of the physics institute is the basement. This is where people used to work. One of the characteristics of physicists is that they don't tidy up after themselves. They go home and leave stuff lying around. And one fine day they go home and never come back, leaving their things for future generations of physicists or archaeologists to find. Today I found a very nice connection piece for a vacuum system, which made me very happy. I will need this piece for the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

Today summed up my present role in physics. Within earshot of the "kick-off" meeting of the next big thing (a neutrino telescope beneath the sea) I was fiddling around with an imitation of an 84 year old experiment which comfortably sits on a desktop. I am rather happy with this state of affairs. Although I wish the km3netters the best of luck, it is not for me. It may be stimulating to build one sensor, but after you build, test and install several hundred you probably get a bit fed up with them. Once you get into the thousands I can't bear to think.

If I may quote Arthur Roberts (you really want to check out this link)

“Oh, dammit – engineering isnt physics – isnt that plain?
Take, oh take your billion dollars. Let
s be physicists again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sure most of the people in the km3net kickoff meeting have been dreaming of "doing it right this time". But being forced to do mediocre things, by time pressure and bad management, will catch up on them over time. As graduates they should have known better, just as all of us should.

Compared to that it's much better to do things that are (at least in some way) proven and have a small change of working out well in the end. So have fun building your stern-gerlach!